Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cacti Potted Garden



For the last 4 years I have planted flowers perennials in my pots out front. And each year the pots have dried out, failed to bring beauty to my front door.
The door faces southeast & gets grilling mid-day sun.  It is a wind sheltered & dry spot in the garden.   A HOT zone!  After learning more from my Colorado garden class I decided to plant a Cacti Garden in my pots. I turned to Kelly Grummond, the Cacti Guru at Timberline Gardens in Arvada.
He showed me his huge cacti garden out back, helped me select the colors I wanted & taught me how to make real cacti soil.  He suggested a cacti juice for feeding every 3 weeks during the first year.
My color selections were orange and yellow. I added Hens & Chicks plants to add textures to the pots as well.  It will take a few years to see the result.  But I already feel better watching the plants grow with a small amount of love.  Here's to my continued progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment