Saturday, October 6, 2012

Native Sucess

#1

#2

Planting Natives in the Fall

I am trilled with the growth of two native plants in my garden.  My Datura, from Santa Fe, and my Mexican Sage Bush are flourishing this fall.  Having learned that Fall is the best time for planting perennials & natives I gave it s try. I am amazed by the plant size, considering they have only been in the ground 5 weeks. 
I  decided not to amend the soil in this location.  Just dig a hole, set the plant in the hole, and water every 4 days during this first season. The soil was hard & clay filled. To see the plants grow in native soil is a wonder! They really are adaptable. 
In photo #1 you can see how the Datura has grown from 3 small leaves to many. I envision the Datura lying across the rocks adding big green leaf texture to the planting bed.  In photo #2 the Mexican Sage has already filled the space.  I look forward to the white & red flowers next Spring. This garden bed will take on a new shape in my front yard.  It may also have to grow as the plants do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment